• It is the second major dam being built by India, after the Friendship Dam (Salma dam) in 2016. It is a part of New Development Partnership between India and Afghanistan.
• Dam would meet safe drinking water needs of Kabul City, provide irrigation water to nearby areas etc. It is being built on Maidan River, a tributary of Kabul River which flows into Pakistan from Afghanistan.
• Since 2001, after US-led forces ousted Taliban from power, India has extended around $3 billion in aid for the reconstruction of Afghanistan.
Major project includes:
• Humanitarian assistance: Supply of 1.1 MT of wheat etc.
• Infrastructure: Parliament Building, Zaranj Delaram road to move goods and services to Iran border etc.
• Connectivity: Chabahar Port, Direct Air Freight corridor between India and Afghanistan etc.
• Economic development: 116 high impact community developmental projects.
• Capacity Building: Scholarships to Afghans under Indian council for cultural relations, administration and governance training etc.
Importance of Afghanistan for India:
• India’s gateway to oil and mineral rich Central Asia.
• Stable Afghanistan is crucial for regional and domestic security.
Mains Paper 2: International
Prelims level: Lalandar Dam