• The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi has expressed grief over the demise of Professor M. S. Narasimhan.
• Mudumbai Seshachalu Narasimhan (1932 – 2021) was an Indian mathematician.
• He is known, along with C. S. Seshadri, for their proof of the Narasimhan–Seshadri theorem, which says that a holomorphic vector bundle over a Riemann surface is stable if and only if it comes from an irreducible projective unitary representation of the fundamental group.
• He headed the research group in Mathematics at the International Centre for Theoretical Physics in Trieste. He was a honorary fellow at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.
• He has been the only Indian to receive the King Faisal International Prize in the field of science.
• Spirit of Salam award (2020)
• Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize (1975)
• Padma Bhushan (1990)
Mains Paper 3: Science and Tech
Prelims level: M. S. Narasimhan
Mains level: Role and contribution of him in the field of mathematical sciences