• The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has issued the Motor Vehicle Aggregator Guidelines 2020 as per the requirements and provisions of the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2019 and further as per the amended Section 93 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
Key highlights about the guidelines:
• License issued by the State Government is a mandatory re-requisite for permitting business operations by the aggregator.
• For regulating the aggregators, the guidelines specified by the Central Government may be followed by State Governments.
• In order to ensure compliance with the license requirements the Act stipulates penalties under Section 93 of the Act.
• These Guidelines seek to establish a regulatory framework for aggregators by State Governments to ensure that the aggregator’s are accountable and responsible for the operations executed by them.
• The business shall also be considered as a service provided by the aggregators to serve the larger public interest in terms of generation of employment, commutation facilities to the public which is cost effective and comfortable.
Mains Paper 3: Economy
Prelims level: Motor Vehicle Aggregator Guidelines
Mains level: Key highlights about the guidelines