• Parliament has passed the National Commission for Homeopathy (Amendment) Bill, 2021 with the Rajya Sabah approving them. The Lok Sabha had passed it earlier.
• The National Commission for Homeopathy (Amendment) Bill proposes to amend the National Commission for Homeopathy Act, 2020 to provide a medical education system that improves access to quality and affordable medical education.
• The 2020 Act replaced the Homeopathy Central Council Act, 1973. The 1973 Act set up the Central Council of Homeopathy for regulating homeopathic education and practice.
• The 2020 Act replaced the Council with a national commission for regulating homeopathic education and practice.
• The National Commission was constituted on July 5, 2021 to supersede the Central Council and on the same date the 1973 Act was repealed.
• The 2021 Bill specifies that all powers exercised and functions performed by the Board of Governors (as under the 1973 Act) will be deemed to have been done under the 2020 Act and will continue to remain in force.
Mains Paper 2: National
Prelims level: National Commission for Homeopathy (Amendment) Bill 2021
Mains level: Key highlights of the bill