• National Monsoon Mission (NMM) under the Ministry of Earth Science was launched in 2012 to develop a state-of-the-art dynamical prediction system for monsoon rainfall.
• Prediction models include models for short to medium range (1-10 days), extended-range (10 days to 30 days) and seasonal.
Other targets of NMM are:
• Developing partnership between Indian and foreign institutes to develop a system for prediction of extremes.
• Develop a system for climate applications having social impacts (such as agriculture, flood forecast etc.)
• NMM augmentation with High-performance Computing facilities has helped in achieving a paradigm shift in weather and climate modeling for operational weather forecasts.
• Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune is responsible for execution and coordination of mission.
Major achievements of NMM during the last three years (phase 2) are:
• Monsoon Mission dynamical model to prepare operational seasonal forecast of monsoon rainfall.
• Improvement in cyclone tracking and intensity prediction.
• Commissioning of a Global Ensemble Forecast System for short and medium range prediction.
Mains Paper 3: Environment
Prelims level: National Monsoon Mission
Mains level: Objectives of the National Monsoon Mission