• Minister of Earth Science informed Rajya Sabha about National Monsoon Mission.
• Under the Monsoon Mission, Ministry has developed the state-of-the-art weather and climate prediction models, which are now in operational use.
• These models include models for short-range to medium range (1-10 days), extended range (10days to 30 days) and seasonal (up to one season).
Following are the targets of Monsoon Mission:
• Development of a seamless prediction system using monsoon mission model, on different time scales, like Seasonal (for whole Monsoon season), Extended range (up-to 4 weeks), Short range prediction (up-to 5days).
• Initiate and coordinate working partnerships between Indian and foreign institutes to develop a system for prediction of extremes and climate applications.
• Develop and implement system for climate applications having social impacts (such as agriculture, flood forecast, extreme events forecast, wind energy, etc.).
• Advanced data assimilation system for preparing high quality data for model predictions.
Major achievements of NMM during the last three years are:
• Setting up of an advanced prediction system for Seasonal prediction; Extended range prediction and Very high-resolution Short-rangeprediction.
• Commissioning of a Global Ensemble Forecast System (GEFS) for short and medium-range prediction at 12km.
Mains Paper 3: Environment
Prelims level: National Monsoon Mission
Mains level: Following are the targets of Monsoon Mission