• Recently, Nepal blocked the transmission of all private TV news channels barring Doordarshan from India after one channel aired highly objectionable content defaming Prime Minister K P Sharma Oli.
• Nepal government expressed that it will not allow foreign TV channels that indulge in the character assassination of its leaders and will seek legal remedies against such news outlets.
Highlights the situation in the relations:
• Currently, the Indo-Nepal bilateral relations are sailing through rough waters.
• India released its new political map in November 2019 to depict the geographical areas of the newly-carved Union Territories-Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh after the abrogation of Article 370 and in that new map, Kalapani is shown as a part of India in the but the Nepal government claims the region as an integral part of its territory.
• Recently, India inaugurated a link road to Lipulekh pass from Dharchula saw a protest from Nepal.
• Nepal has raised concerns over these moves by the Indian government.
• Recently, Nepal proposed amendments to the Citizenship Act of Nepal which will likely affect a large number of families on both sides.
Mains Paper 2: International Relations
Mains level: Implication behind banning the Indian news channel by Nepal Govt