• National common mobility card (NCMC) is an automatic fare collection system. It will turn smartphones into an inter-operable transport card that commuters can use eventually to pay for Metro, bus and suburban railways services.
• NCMC dubbed as One Nation, One Card for transport mobility is an initiative of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) to enable seamless travel by different metros and other transport systems across the country besides retail shopping and purchases.
• Idea of NCMC was floated by the Nandan Nilekani committee set up by the Reserve Bank of India.
• In order to ensure a seamless travel across metros and other transport systems in addition to retail shopping and purchases, MoHUA had come out with NCMC Program.
Benefits of NCMC:
• NCMC Ecosystem offers the value proposition for customers as they need not to carry multiple cards for different usage.
• Users can utilize this for payments across all segments including metro, bus, railways, suburban, parking, smart city, toll, retail.
• Help government in digitization of low value payments and reduced cost for the entire ecosystem.
• All new metro, and transit payments would be made interoperable through NCMC.
Mains Paper 2: National
Prelims level: One nation, one mobility card
Mains level: Benefits of National common mobility card