• PM-KISAN Scheme is a Central Sector Scheme with 100% funding from Government of India.
• Under the scheme, Income support of Rs.6000/- per year is provided to all and holding farmer families across the country, irrespective of land size, in three equal instalments of Rs.2000/- every four months.
Objective of the scheme:
• Provide income support to all landholding farmers’ families.
• Supplement financial needs of farmers for procuring various inputs related to agriculture and allied activities as well as domestic needs.
• Farmer’s family is defined as a family comprising of husband, wife and minor children.
• Responsibility of identification of beneficiary farmer families rests with the State / UT governments.
• Benefit shall be paid to only those farmers families whose names are entered into the land records except for Forest dwellers, North-eastern states and Jharkhand which has separates provisions for land records.
• Scheme provides exclusion such as Institutional land holders; farmer families holding constitutional posts, Professionals etc.
• Similar Income support schemes are also announced by several states such as Telangana’s Rythu Bandhu scheme, Odisha’s Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation (KALIA) scheme.
Mains Paper 3: Economy
Prelims level: PM-Kisan scheme
Mains level: Objective of the scheme