• It is 30 GW capacity hybrid renewable energy (HRE) park which will harbour solar and wind power generation infrastructure and an energy storage zone.
• It will be built along the Indo-Pak border at Khavda in Kutch district of Gujarat.
• India is currently the fourth largest producer of renewable energy in the world.
• It spread over 72,600 hectares of land it is dubbed as the world’s largest single-location HRE.
• It will play a major role in fulfilling India’s vision of generating 450 GW of power by 2030 and would enable overcoming the problems related to intermittent supply of renewable power.
• Also, wind mills at Kutch near Indo-Pakistan border will help in border security (as it also acts as a boundary).
• HRE usually comprises of two or more renewable energy sources combined in such a way to provide an efficient system with appropriate energy conversion technology connected together to feed power to local load or grid.
• There are different types of HRE systems like Biomass-wind-fuel cell, Photovoltaic-wind, Hydro-wind and Photovoltaic-Biomass etc.
Benefits of HRE:
• Low emission;
• Lower consumer price of power;
• Efficient use of land;
• Continuous power supply; etc.
Mains Paper 3: Economy
Prelims level: Hybrid renewable energy
Mains level: Benefits by using hybrid renewable energy