• PM Modi’s official page on Chinese social media website Weibo went blank with the removal of his photograph and all 115 posts made over the past five years.
• Sina Weibo is a Chinese microblogging (weibo) website. Weibo the Chinese word for ‘microblog’.
• It was Launched by Sina Corporation in 2009 and is one of the biggest social media platforms in China.
• Through it, users can upload pictures and videos publicly for instant sharing, with other users being able to comment with text, pictures and videos, or use a multimedia instant messaging service.
• Due to its popularity, the media sometimes refers to the platform simply as “Weibo,” despite the numerous other Chinese microblogging/weibo services including Tencent Weibo, Sohu Weibo, and NetEase Weibo.
• Modi initiated the process of exiting Weibo following the Union government’s decision to ban 59 Chinese apps, including Weibo, citing threats to data security and India’s sovereignty.
• This marks a sudden end to Mr. Modi’s “Weibo diplomacy” that was launched with fanfare in 2015 as a means to directly communicate with the people of China before his first visit there as Prime Minister.
Mains Paper 2: International
Prelims level: Weibo