• Department of Social Justice and Empowerment informed Lok Sabha about the Modifications in Pre and Post Matric Scholarship Schemes.
The scheme wise important changes introduced are as follows:
• Pre-Matric Scholarship for SC students: The funding pattern under the scheme was revised from the concept of committed liability to a fixed sharing pattern of 60:40 between Centre and the States (90:10 in case of North Eastern States) or Notional Allocation whichever is lower.
• The Annual Family Income limit was increased from Rs. 2.00 lakh to Rs 2.5 lakh in 2018 and rates of maintenance allowances were also increased.
• Post-Matric Scholarship for Scheduled Castes (SC) students: During the year 2020-21, the Union Cabinet has approved the revision and continuation of the scheme from the year 2020-21 to 2025-26 which includes, inter-alia, revision of funding pattern to a sharing ratio of 60:40 between the Centre and the States (90:10 in case of NE States).
• Pre-Matric Scholarship for Other Backward Classes (OBCs) and Post Matric Scholarship for OBCs: The income limit has been changed under Pre Matric Scholarship of OBC and Post Matric Scholarship for OBCs as per details given below:
• Pre-Matric Scholarship for OBC: increased from Rs.1.00 lakh to Rs. 2.50lakh per annum.
• Post Matric Scholarship for OBC: increased from Rs.1.50 lakh to Rs.2.50lakh per annum.
Mains Paper 2: Governance
Prelims level: Pre and Post Matric Scholarship Schemes
Mains level: Highlights the changes in the scheme