• The President of India will award the President’s Colour to Indian Naval Aviation.
• It’s the highest honour bestowed on a military unit in recognition of its exceptional service to nation.
• Naval Aviation came into being with acquisition of the first Sealand aircraft in 1951 and the commissioning of INS Garuda, the first Naval Air Station.
• Over the past decades, it had transformed into a modern, technologically advanced and highly potent force, with more than 250 aircraft comprising carrier-borne fighters, maritime reconnaissance aircraft, helicopters and remotely piloted aircraft (RPA).
• Naval Aviation has played a major role in operations such as
1. Operation Cactus– India launched an Operation Cactus to help the Maldives as the country faced a mercenary invasion
2. Operation Jupiter– Indian Peace Keeping Operations in Sri Lanka
3. Operation Vijay– Operation by the Military of India that led to the capture of Goa, Daman and Diu and Anjediva Islands
4. Operation Parakram- launched in the wake of the December 13, 2001 terrorist attack on Parliament
Mains Paper 3: Defence and Security
Prelims level: President’s Colour Award
Mains level: Security forces and agencies