• Ministry of Defence (MoD) has notified ‘Second Positive Indigenisation List’ of 108 items to promote indigenisation in the Defence sector and defence exports.
• This will give further boost to indigenisation with active participation of public and private sector for fulfilling the twin objectives of achieving self-reliance and promoting defence exports.
• All the 108 items will now be procured from indigenous sources as per provisions given in Defence Acquisition Procedure (DAP) 2020.
• The second list (enclosed) lays special focus on weapons/systems which are currently under development/trials and are likely to translate into firm orders in the future.
• The ‘Second Positive Indigenisation List’ comprises complex systems, sensors, simulator, weapons and ammunitions like Helicopters, Next Generation Corvettes, Air Borne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) systems, Tank Engines, Medium Power Radar for Mountains, MRSAM Weapon Systems etc.
• This second list is planned to be implemented progressively with effect from December 2021 to December 2025.
Mains Paper 3: Defense and Security
Prelims level: Second Positive Indigenisation List