• Supreme Court stated that petition lacked a criteria it had laid down in past that there should be appropriate cause of action (materials to sue) to challenge a law.
• Section 124A of Indian Penal Code, 1860 defines sedition as an act that brings or attempts to bring into hatred or contempt or excites or attempts to excite disaffection towards Government by words, either spoken or written or by signs or by visible representation or otherwise.
• Under this, a person is liable to be punished with imprisonment for life or up to three years with fine.
• Also, a person charged under this can’t apply for a government job and have to live without their passport.
• Sedition case comes under Offences Against State category that also includes cases filed under Unlawful Activities Prevention Act, damage to property Act, Official Secrets Act etc.
• Verdicts in Romesh Thappar, Kedar Nath, Kanahiya Kumar case have redefined seditious act. An act is seditious only if:
1. Disruption of public order.
2. Attempt to violently overthrow a lawful government.
3. Threatening security of State or of public.
Mains Paper 2: Polity
Prelims level: Sedition law
Mains level: Read the newsfeed