• The Indian Railways has operationalized its first 12,000 hp electric locomotive manufactured locally by French rolling stock manufacturer Alstom. The loco is named WAG12 with Number 60027.
• The locomotive made its maiden commercial run between Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Station to Shivpur.
• India became the sixth country in the world to join the club of countries producing high horsepower locomotive indigenously.
• It has been manufactured at the Madhepura Electric Locomotive Pvt. Ltd. (MELPL), in Bihar, which is a joint venture between the French major and the Indian railways holding an equity share of 74% and 26% respectively. The joint venture remains the largest Foreign Direct Investment in the railway sector.
• Entry of WAG 12B (e-loco) into the Indian Railways fleet will allow faster and safer movement of heavier freight trains capable to haul around 6000 tonnes at a top speed of 120 kmph.
• It is the first time, high horsepower locomotive has been operationalized on a broad gauge track in the world.
Mains Paper 3: Economy
Prelims level: WAG12