• US administration has said that it will participate in talks with Iran with a view to reinstate the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) or ‘Iran nuclear deal’.
• In 2018, USA has pulled out of the deal, and initiated procedure called “snapback” at the United Nations Security Council to unilaterally reimpose sanctions on Iran.
• JCPOA allows any party to trigger a process that snaps U.N. sanctions on Iran back into place if Iran is not complying with the deal.
• Earlier in response to US sanctions, Iran has stepped up its nuclear work in violation of the JCPOA.
• JCPOA was signed in 2015, endorsed by UNSC Resolution to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons while granting it an internationally monitored civilian nuclear power programme.
• It was signed between Iran and the P5+1 (China, France, Russia, United Kingdom, United States and Germany).
The recent move offers opportunity to India as:
• Before sanctions, India was one of the largest buyers of crude oil from Iran.
• Also, India Iran are partners in projects like Chabahar port, International North-South Transport Corridor.
Mains Paper 2: International Relations
Prelims level: Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action
Mains level: Read the newsfeed