• A notification under Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPwD) Act, 2016 has made mandatory for all States/UTs to grant certificate of disability through online mode only using UDID (Unique Disability ID).
• It will ensure complete digitization of certification of disability to achieve pan-India validity to ensure access to govt schemes.
• It is in line with Incheon Strategy for Persons with Disabilities in Asia and Pacific.
Other Government Initiatives for Persons with Disabilities:
• Accessible India Campaign to help make buildings and other infrastructure disabled friendly.
• Assistance to Disabled Persons for Purchase/Fitting of Aids and Appliances (ADIP) Scheme to provide for distribution of aids and assistive devices.
• Sugamya Pustakalaya: Online library for persons with disabilities.
• Reservation is provided to disabled in higher education.
• 4 % reservation in Government jobs.
India is a signatory to
• United Nations Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD).
• Declaration on the Full Participation and Equality of People with Disabilities in the Asia-Pacific Region.
• Biwako Millennium Framework working towards an inclusive, barrier free and rights-based society.
Mains Paper 2: National
Prelims level: UDID Portal
Mains level: Social issues