• It was done after Lieutenant-Governor had recommended President’s rule, as no party claimed to form a government following loss of vote of confidence by the previous government.
• President’s Rule under Article 356 refers to the suspension of a state government and the imposition of direct rule of the Centre and the Governor becomes its constitutional head.
• Vidhan Sabha is either dissolved or prorogued and such a situation forces Election Commission to conduct a re-election within 6 months.
• In 1962, after the signing of a treaty with France, territories of Pondicherry, Karaikal, Mahe, and Yanam became part of the Indian Union.
• In 1962, Parliament grouped these territories into Union Territory (UT) of Pondicherry, and also inserted a new Article 239A into the Constitution.
• Article 239A enables Parliament to create legislatures for the UTs.
• UT of Puducherry has legislative assembly which can make laws on any subject of the State List and Concurrent List.
• However, Parliament can also make laws on any subject of the three lists (including the State List) for UTs including Puducherry.
• Accordingly, Government of Union Territories Act, 1963 was also enacted for Puducherry.
Mains Paper 2: Polity
Prelims level: President’s rule
Mains level: Provision for President’s rule in India