• US imposed sanctions under the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) on Turkey for acquiring S-400 air defence systems from Russia.
• The predicament is important for India as it is also set to get the consignment of the S-400 air defence system early next year.
S-400 air defence missile system
• It is Russia’s fourth generation of long-range surface-to-air missile system capable of firing three types of missiles to create a layered defence.
• The system can engage all types of aerial targets including aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), ballistic and cruise missiles within the range of 400km, at an altitude of up to 30km.
• CAATSA enacted in 2017, is a US federal law that imposed sanctions on Iran, North Korea and Russia.
• It empowers the US President to impose sanctions on persons engaged in a significant transaction with Russian defence and intelligence sectors.
• If CAATSA is implemented in its stringent form, it can affect India’s defence procurement from Russia.
• It will also impact Indo-US ties and will dent the image of US being a reliable partner for India while it is projecting India as a key player in its Indo Pacific strategy.
Mains Paper 2: International
Prelims level: S-400 air defence missile system
Mains level: Read the newsfeed